Your Options Understood web graphics Facebook square blue large

What can I do if I think my budget is not enough?

If you think the money you are offered is not enough, you do not have to accept it. You can dispute the amount offered. You will need to discuss with your council what will happen while your complaint is being worked on. You can accept the individual budget if you want, while your complaint is being dealt with. If you do not want to do this while your complaint is being considered, you can choose to get arranged services instead.


Where's the money going to come from to pay for Self-Directed Support?

There is no new money for SDS. If SDS could only happen when large amounts of new funding become available, it is unlikely that it would happen at all. So the money will come from that which social services are already spending on social care. However, a better focus on outcomes should also help people identify and use other sources of funding (Benefits, Employment, Community Services, Health, Education and grants).


But what if the money's not there?

It is possible for people to direct their own support without new monies being found. Experience in other countries shows that, for the amounts of money people would have got anyway, they can create supports which suit them better.


Is this really just a way to do things on the cheap?

SDS isn't cheaper, but it can be more creative and make better use of the money available, so that someone gets more for their money and can choose when they want support and who they want to support them, ultimately having more control over their own lives.


What responsibilities will I have?

Self-directed support offers you much more flexibility, but managing it is also a responsibility. An important part of SDS is that a person can take on as much or as little responsibility they want depending on the options they choose. You can get the help and support you. Your local support service is usually the first point of contact for this.


Can someone, other than the assessed person,

receive and / or manage the payment?

Yes – Parents of, or those with parental responsibility for, children under 16 (or in some circumstances under 18). Guardians/Attorneys of adults over 16 and certain persons included by Scottish Government guidance (this would include members of circles of support, user-controlled trusts, independent living trusts or certain individuals providing assistance), all at council discretion.


Can I change how I spend my individual budget?

You will need to discuss with your council what kinds of changes need to be agreed in advance, and the kind of changes you can make on your own without asking.


Where can I go to buy the services I need?

You can make arrangements yourself and employ your own staff and they will report directly to you. Or you can buy services from an agency, a private service provider or voluntary organisation. Some people have a contract with a service provider to provide any emergency cover they may need should any problems arise.


Can I buy services from my council?

Yes, you can buy services from any council provided it agrees to sell its services to you.


Can I buy short breaks (respite)?

Yes, respite is a short break which is to act as a positive experience for the person with support needs and the carer, where there is one. The term includes a wide range of different services of limited duration. The common factor is not what service is provided, but its purpose. Respite can be offered in a wide variety of settings, including breaks in residential homes, respite-only units (e.g. specialist guest houses), breaks in the home of another individual or family who have been specially recruited, breaks at home through a support worker or sitting service, or holiday type breaks.


< Previous          More >






SDS general buttons